An important and meaningful item on my bucket list is to be able to bring my parents to Singapore for a tour. The Lion City means so much to me as a sign of personal independence. This is the city where I made a living for myself without an allowance from my parents. Ever since I got a good offer to stay and work in Singapore, I have always wanted to pay back my parents for all the support they have given me all these years.
Okay enough na the senti!
Neil and I picked them up at Changi Airport on Friday. For the first night, I wanted my parents to see our HDB flat in Bishan. So we took a cab from the airport and settled down at the house.
Neil prepared breakfast for everybody this morning. By breakfast it was more like steamed rice with spam and corned beef. I showed my parents the TV channel that I work for.
The itinerary for the first day:
- First MRT Ride: Bishan to Dhoby Ghaut
- Walk to the National Museum of Singapore to visit the Singapore History Gallery
- Lunch at Wee Nam Kee (United Square). Take train from Dhoby Ghaut to Novena MRT
- A quick pictorial at Chjmes (old church turned into a bar-resto conclave)
- Check-in at Carlton Hotel and rest
- Try Garret’s Popcorn (those free samples only at CityLink)
- Walk to The Esplanade Theatres by the Bay, Merlion Park, and The Fullerton Hotel. Pictorial along the mouth of the Singapore River.
- Try Pineapple Tarts at Mr. Bean (at Raffles Place MRT)
- Mom’s Shopping at Orchard (Forever 21 at 313@Somerset and H&M Orchard Road). Pictorial in front of Ngee Ann City.
- Dinner at Menya Musashi (ION Orchard). Tried White Cha Shu Ramen.
- Mom’s shopping continues at Forever 21 at ION. Neil buys my mom a few gifts in advance of her upcoming birthday.
- New SingTel SIM for my parents so I could contact them. (Passport and IC registration required as usual)
- Popeyes Louisiana Chicken for take-away.
- Parted ways with parents at Orchard MRT
The day in photos.