It’s 4:17am and I can’t sleep. Again. It’s been like this for a few weeks where my sleeping habit is sht. I can take a 3mg pill of melatonin but it makes me feel sluggish when I wake up. I’ve started journalling but my work table has a pile of clothes and an Amazon microphone that never seems to find its own home. (Do I hide it in the cabinet? Hassle. I need it for my Zoom call.)
So instead, why not I write here.
What would I do… if I had a little more $$$
- I would like to rent my own place with PJ. For the past 9 years, I’ve lived in shared accomodation in Singapore. This means I have flatmates. About 90% have been great flatmates, no regrets there. But lately I’m jealous of some friends (also: couples) who have rented their own cute apartments. It’s pricey! It’s not in PJ’s budget. It’s not in my budget too. But only if we earned a little more… kahit konting dagdag… we would be able to afford our own place. Preferably one that sits right next to a grocery store. So I can cook. Nakakatamad maglakad from our current condo to FairPrice. It’s at least 10-12 minutes one-way. It’ll be a 20-25 minutes return… carrying groceries in Singapore’s homophobic weather.
- I would get myself a MacBook Pro 16″, the new ones. I’d like to top-up the specs so I have the best MacBook Pro in its class. This wouldn’t be for vanity reasons, no. I really utilise my Macs. The one I’m using now is from 2013. It can’t render 4K video. Heck, it can’t even render normal video at an acceptable speed today. I’ve produced many videos with my current laptop but I’m due for an upgrade. I want to edit in 4K. I want video editing to be fun and breezy again… not a gargantuan task when it comes to adding layers and rendering. I know my creative side is in video. I’d also use it to start a side job editing videos for clients perhaps. I dunno. Basta… a juiced up MacBook Pro 16″ would be nice.
- Hire a personal trainer to keep me in check. I need one. I’ve put in effort to exercise. But I want to be accountable to a personal trainer who will push and guide me closer to my fitness goals. I aM nOt gEttiNg aNy yOunGeR. I want a personal trainer to guide me in nutrition as well. Apps can only do so much. Online classes can only do so much.
- It would be nice to start investing in a small plot of land outside Metro Manila. Perhaps one in Laguna or Cavite. Gaah. What am I talking about right. I think this is part of my growing need to set up my nest. I’ve been watching numerous real estate videos. I’m also watching ones from the States. Houses that cost USD 40 million dollars. I love watching these house tours. I don’t think I’ll ever live in a house that costs USD 40 million dollars. But I do like looking at one… I’m a dreamer.
- I want to never feel bad that I’m ordering Grab delivery food that costs over SGD 20.00. Decent delivery food can be around SGD 10-15 per meal. And I already feel bad about that. Normally walking into a hawker centre near the office you can get food for SGD 8-10. So ordering food at SGD 10-15 (though it keeps you safe at home) makes me feel uncomfy. I know it’s ridiculous. It’s food. I NEVER want to scrimp on food – we should eat good food. But it comes with a pinch. If I had extra $$$ I would like to never feel bad for ordering food that’s below SGD 30.00 at least. Okay that’s exaggerating. But you know… I want to eat from the ‘gourmet’ ones in Katong or downtown. Why must stick to Hao Lai Ke every week.
- I’d love to start a mini-bar at home. Alak is expensive in Singapore. We normally get our alcohol from duty-free shopping on the way into Singapore from our travels. But travels are mostly imaginary the last 20 months. If I had more $$$ I’d like to resume a wine subscription. Or ‘invest’ in whiskey. Gusto ko may mini-bar sa bahay. I’d like to be Don Draper even in my pajamas.
- Send a regular balikbayan box back to the Philippines. I mean… if I had more $$$ I’d like LBC to send me a small balikbayan box each month. And they’d collect it on schedule after 2 weeks. I’d like to fill it with groceries, a care package, masks, chocolates, gifts… and keep sending it back home. Like I don’t have to think twice if I can afford it. I’d like to just tap a few buttons on Lazada and have it delivered home. I’d write my notes and pack it nicely in a box.
I’ve intentionally left out the charities (like WWF), investments, and further studies (master’s degree, short courses on edX). Everything above are some of what’s on my mind. Call me out or add yours. What would you do with extra $$$?