The fourth and last day of my parents’ visit to the Lion City.
Posts from the Family Category
Choose another category?
- 31 Blog Post Ideas by Helga
- A to Z
- Bekpackr Episodics
- Blog Community
- Daily Random
- Flight Review
- Gay Rights
- hotel review
- LGBT Advocacy
- Music I Listen To
- My Weekend in 6 Photos
- Outrigger Canoeing
- Personal Milestones
- Pinoy SG
- Product Review
- San Francisco
- Summer Friday
- Time Check
Third and last full day in Singapore for my parents.
- I recommended my parents visit the Singapore Art Museum for the ongoing Singapore Biennale.
- Check-out from our first hotel.
- Taxi ride to our one-night stay at MBS. I surprised my parents with this one because I originally told them we were staying at a hotel in Lavender. Wish you could join us Paul!
- We were given a room upgrade! 🙂 –so it took a while to take it all in
- Lunch at Rasapura food court at The Shoppes. The only place you can get cheaper meals in the vicinity of MBS. Even if the Beef Bulgogi meal is twice the price you’d find in Bishan.
- Swimming at the infinity edge pool at the top of MBS. The weather is chilly recently (chilly by Singapore standards of hot and humid). Wind blowing..
- Quick shower so we could reach the nearby Flower Dome before the sun set. We made it and Neil joined us here straight from his work.
- Flower Dome followed by the Cloud Forest, which is one of my favourite spots in Singapore. Mom was a bit scared when we were on the higher parts where the flooring is just railing above a hundred meters of space.
- Taxi to Makansutra where Suzie joined us. Ran into my former boss… or rather, the boss of my former boss… ASV! Winner.
- A night time stroll back to MBS via the Floating Stadium and Helix Bridge.
- Back at the room, my parents had time to look back at photos taken on my mom’s iPad mini. Neil is asleep next to me now.
- Lovely but tiring day. My parents are returning to Manila already tomorrow! The four-day ‘state visit’ I prepped is coming to a close.
More photos of my parents’ trip to Singapore. The set below was taken on the 2nd full day of their stay here in the Lion City.
- Heard the 11:00 am English mass at the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul in Bras Basah (behind the Singapore Art Museum). Neil and I used to go to church there during our job hunt days. (Nearest MRT: Bras Basah)
- Lunch at Just Acia in Dhoby Ghaut. This is a favourite when we have guests visit Singapore. They offer set meals that come with bottomless sodas and ice cream.
- Took the train to Harbourfront (VivoCity) followed by the Sentosa monorail to Imbiah Hill. Mostly touristy stuff like photos by the big Merlion and the surrounding fountains.
- Walked down towards Resorts World Sentosa. Photos at the Universal Studios globe.
- Neil shared some Garret’s Popcorn while we did a little people-watching.
- Walk back to VivoCity via Sentosa Boardwalk.
- Train back City Hall MRT (via Dhoby Ghaut). Sampled (what a touristy word!) kaya toast and soft-boiled egg at Ya Kun Kaya Toast Raffles City.
- Walked back to the hotel to rest for about an hour. I enjoyed watching the skies dim over the cityscape.
- Parents’ first public bus ride was from the hotel to Clarke Quay.
- Dinner at Song Fa Bak Kut Teh. Dad really enjoyed!
- A walk around Clarke Quay.
- Surprised my parents with tickets for the Singapore River Cruise. We boarded around 9:20 PM and it took us down the river towards Marina Bay. It was actually… romantic! I’ve never seen Singapore from that vantage point… and it’s beautiful. Like all the urban noise gets muted away from the sound of light waves brushing the side of our boat.
- Alighted at Clarke Quay (after making a full circle) where we took a bus back to Bras Basah. Neil and I dropped my parents off at the front of the hotel before we went home to our flat in Bishan.
The photos taken today:
An important and meaningful item on my bucket list is to be able to bring my parents to Singapore for a tour. The Lion City means so much to me as a sign of personal independence. This is the city where I made a living for myself without an allowance from my parents. Ever since I got a good offer to stay and work in Singapore, I have always wanted to pay back my parents for all the support they have given me all these years.
Okay enough na the senti!
Neil and I picked them up at Changi Airport on Friday. For the first night, I wanted my parents to see our HDB flat in Bishan. So we took a cab from the airport and settled down at the house.
Neil prepared breakfast for everybody this morning. By breakfast it was more like steamed rice with spam and corned beef. I showed my parents the TV channel that I work for.
The itinerary for the first day:
- First MRT Ride: Bishan to Dhoby Ghaut
- Walk to the National Museum of Singapore to visit the Singapore History Gallery
- Lunch at Wee Nam Kee (United Square). Take train from Dhoby Ghaut to Novena MRT
- A quick pictorial at Chjmes (old church turned into a bar-resto conclave)
- Check-in at Carlton Hotel and rest
- Try Garret’s Popcorn (those free samples only at CityLink)
- Walk to The Esplanade Theatres by the Bay, Merlion Park, and The Fullerton Hotel. Pictorial along the mouth of the Singapore River.
- Try Pineapple Tarts at Mr. Bean (at Raffles Place MRT)
- Mom’s Shopping at Orchard (Forever 21 at 313@Somerset and H&M Orchard Road). Pictorial in front of Ngee Ann City.
- Dinner at Menya Musashi (ION Orchard). Tried White Cha Shu Ramen.
- Mom’s shopping continues at Forever 21 at ION. Neil buys my mom a few gifts in advance of her upcoming birthday.
- New SingTel SIM for my parents so I could contact them. (Passport and IC registration required as usual)
- Popeyes Louisiana Chicken for take-away.
- Parted ways with parents at Orchard MRT
The day in photos.